From Today's Housewife (May 1926): "In summer time the breakfast, more than any other meal of the day, should receive careful planning, preparation, and serving. It is served at an hour when the whole family come to the table refreshed and zestful...It is the meal on which the housewife should concentrate her efforts and set before her family the most delicious, intriguing dishes served in the coolest, most attractive spot she can find" (p. 17).
Simple Summer Breakfasts
Today's Housewife (May 1926)
1. Pineapple, fresh or canned, chilled and served in tall glasses. Iced coffee, a la Russe, with lemon and sugar. Crisp rounds of toast, buttered, with cinnamon and sugar.
2. Bunches of grapes, Concord or Delaware, very cold, served on big leaves. Iced chocolate, with whipped cream. Uncooked cereal, with dates and cream. Freshly made toast, unsalted butter.
3.Chilled fruit-cup. Puffed rice, grape-nuts and bananas, cream and sugar. Hot, buttered toast and marmalade. Coffee.
4. Canned pears, served very cold, with orange juice and sugar. Biscuit made in the electric waffle-iron. Grilled bacon. Coffee made with milk, blended and chilled.
5. Shredded wheat and blackberries, thick cream. Coffee. Hot, buttered toast with scraped maple or brown sugar.
6. Stemmed currants, crushed, sugared and chilled. Coffee; cheese toast.
7. Sliced, or whole, peaches. Waffles with cinnamon and sugar. Coffee.